expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Sunday, February 21, 2016

What I learned from being denied by BYU

I was chilling with my friends and enjoying my Friday night, when people started talking about getting into BYU Provo, which wasn't expected for another week.

My Heart was jumping out of my chest

I couldn't log into my account fast enough

My closest friend opened hers and cheered in relief and excitement as she found she was accepted
Another opened his and sighed with relief that he wasn't accepted
and another opened hers to find she was accepted, but politely declined the offer

As people started to chat about other things I finally logged in and after checking that no one was watching for my reaction

I checked my application status

DENIED, it read

and I reread it multiple times, shocked and confused

Embarrassed and Angry, tears fell on my hands quietly

My best friend turned around and shock spread across her face when she saw my tears
"How is this possible? We had almost identical applications?!" She looked at me with concern.

And that was it

I went home with the supportive thoughts and comments from my friends
And then I cried myself to sleep

When I got home my parents were asleep and I knew if I woke them up they would just want to tell me "Everything will be okay" a million times and then thrust a plan for the future at me

So I just went to bed

I woke up to them walking in my room with those same concerned faces everybody seemed to be wearing for me lately. 

After having the conversation I had expected, my dad offered that we go to kneaders for breakfast and I said yes, because what else do you do when your parents offer you a pity breakfast.

This experience seemed like there was no positive outcome
but I had a lot of time to think

BYU isn't the celestial kingdom

If you weren't "accepted" that doesn't mean your not accepted by God or anyone else around you.
It doesn't mean you were not good enough or smart enough
It doesn't mean theres no other options just as good or better.
It doesn't mean everyone else that got accepted is better than you

It just means God has a different plan for you, even if that just means you have to try try again.
It just means you might be needed somewhere else or at a different time
Or it just means you need to learn something from this experience.

Feeling extremely discouraged I just wanted to forget about BYU, but I realized
I realized I couldn't do that.

I desperately wanted to take the denied letter personally

I wanted to spit in there face and say "Whatever, your missing out on an awesome person and I didn't want to go to your stupid school anyways."

But I knew that would be lying to myself.

I couldn't just give up, even though that would be much easier.

I decided I would be Proud Of Myself and take this experience and use it to build my own character and keep trying

I decided I would be happy for my friends and celebrate with them,

Celebrate LIFE
Celebrate our Hard Work
Celebrate our Friendship
Our Futures
Our Trials
Our Accomplishments

It's all how you look at a situation
It's all how you react to a situation
Good or Bad

5 comments:

  1. It's all how you look at a situation
    It's all how you react to a situation

    This is wonderful. You are handling things so much better than many people could (including me) and for that I applaude you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those were my favorite lines too,
      And I love you're opinion about this and how to handle it, you'll do great things no matter where you go, I can tell

      Delete
  2. "BYU isn't the celestial kingdom" - This post is so good. I respect you so much for taking such a mature stance. I can relate to this on so many levels (I didn't get accepted to my top choice either). I think it's incredible how you can turn this situation into such a positive motivator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you so much and I want every beautiful thing in this world to happen to you because I've always known you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. its ok. Nelson went to the U and look at him now

    ReplyDelete